The Architects Collaborative Inc.
Architectural Signage, Murals, and Banners
Founded by Walter Gropius and seven young principals in 1945, The Architects Collaborative, Inc. was well known in its day for embedding the collaborative design process, as championed by Gropius himself, in the making of its architecture. “TAC” was also an innovator in the related disciplines of graphic design and architectural signage. At a time when the term, “environmental graphic design” was not yet common coinage, TAC recognized the importance of integrating the design of its print graphics, architectural signage, and space enhancements within the firm as an in-house capability. “TAC Graphics”, with its own department head and art director, joined “TAC Interiors” and “TAC Landscape” as co-equal collaborative resources within the organization.
As a member of TAC Graphics, Charles Gibson collaborated on the design of proposal and marketing print pieces. He was also chosen by Art Director, Harish Patel, as lead designer for several environmental graphics projects including Church Park Apartments, Boston; IBM, East Fishkill, NY; Kuwait Investment Company, Kuwait City; PACE International, Cambridge, MA; Middlebury College; and Smith College.